A lady in Texas in direct path of the flood says God will save her, she won't leave.

A lady in Texas in direct path of the flood says God will save her, she won't leave.

Your Morality
Should man save her or stand by and watch her faith kill her?

What would you do? Save her or leave her?

Re: A lady in Texas in direct path of the flood says God will save her, she won't leave.

*StarShine*
Administrator
I would tell her to use the brains that God gave her and talk her into going with me.

Re: A lady in Texas in direct path of the flood says God will save her, she won't leave.

DoctorWhom
If there's enough time to get her to safety I would.
It's almost our responsibility to help other humans when help is needed and can be given,
Not to stand aside, and say "Where is your god now!?"
If she believes that god sent you to save her, that's fine,
As a religious person, she is well entitled to hold that belief.
She doesn't deserve to have people turn away because she's
Religious. Nor does she deserve to die because she has faith in god.
What kind of people do that to other human beings?
Take what you want and pay for it - Spanish Proverb

Re: A lady in Texas in direct path of the flood says God will save her, she won't leave.

I have heard this story repeated time and time again:

A woman was on the roof of her house as the flood waters kept rising.
A boat came up and the crew said "Need any help?" and the woman replies, "Nope, God will save me."
So the first boat leaves and a second boat came up to her a short time later and the crew said, "Need any help?" and the woman replies, "Nope, God will save me."
That boat leaves and soon a third boat came up and the crew said, "Need any help?" and the woman replies, "Nope, God will save me." So the third boat went away.
An hour later, the woman drowned, and now she is in heaven.
She asked God, "God, why didn't you save me?" and God replied, "I tried, I sent three boats didn't I?"

There are many like her, who in the path of disaster, rely exclusively on the belief that God will save them from harm. Those who survive say, “See, I told you. It was a miracle. God saved me from certain death.”
However, those who held those beliefs and perished are not available for comment.

This reminds me of Harry R. Truman who refused to heed the warnings and evacuate Mt. Saint Helens in 1980. He was quoted as saying, “God won’t let that mountain hurt me”
He is so embarrassed at being wrong that he is currently in hiding under a couple of hundred feet of rocks, ash, and debris and therefore, he too, is unavailable for comment.

.

I have absolutely no objections to letting those who spend their lives immersed in superstitious fantasies to enjoy whatever consequences befall them.

Re: A lady in Texas in direct path of the flood says God will save her, she won't leave.

Your Morality
If there's enough time to get her to safety I would.....even if she refuses your help??
It's almost our responsibility to help other humans when help is needed and can be given,.......what do you mean "almost"??
Not to stand aside, and say "Where is your god now!?"...they didn't stand aside, they were there to save her, she refused.
If she believes that god sent you to save her, that's fine,...but is it ok to save her against her will?? against her belief??
As a religious person, she is well entitled to hold that belief....but as a saving person do you ignore her beliefs?
She doesn't deserve to have people turn away because she's....who decides what she deserves?
Religious. Nor does she deserve to die because she has faith in god....but if she has a heart attack and dies because you saved her against her will....can her family sue you and your family of everything you have?? Who pays??
What kind of people do that to other human beings? .....What kind of people sue other people for violating their religious beliefs and decisions?? Almost always religious ones represented by lawyers.

Do you take that risk?? As a person of safety??

Re: A lady in Texas in direct path of the flood says God will save her, she won't leave.

DoctorWhom
If she refuses help, I'd ask her how she knows god hasn't any me.

I will say I used "almost" loosely.

She's not asking to die. She's just not accepting to be saved. We're smart enough be able to let her think that god has sent us. It makes no difference, fact is, she's going to be killed unless you save her... God or no. If she wants to throw herself
Back in front of the flood she can, but she'd know suicide is a mortal sin. So she won't do that.

No you don't ignore her beliefs, refer above.

I have no reason not to help her. I don't believe this woman was a bad person. I believe she deserves the same respect, service and rescue anyone else deserves are they to have their lives in reachable danger.as a human. Innocent till proven guilty. Not the other way arround. And this should decide what people deserve on a base level.

No one pays. Because like I said. We make her believe whatever she needs to, so that she can be brought to safety. No damage was done and for all intensive purposes, there's no proof that I was sent by god.
When someone is in danger that I can prevent them from encountering, I will try my best to prevent it. There is something called tact. You can tell a mugger to go jump in a lake with tact.
Take what you want and pay for it - Spanish Proverb

Re: A lady in Texas in direct path of the flood says God will save her, she won't leave.

DoctorWhom
God hasn't sent me*
No proof I wasn't *
Sorry, please excuse my typos.
I hope I answered you well enough. I like having my morals challenged, Moral.
And you did say "what if she sued" if she sued, I'd use a religious lawyer too.
I don't want to say she won't sue me. Sorry for dodging.
Take what you want and pay for it - Spanish Proverb

Re: A lady in Texas in direct path of the flood says God will save her, she won't leave.

Your Morality
In my opinion you did well :) It's a touchy situation for certain. When I made this post this very situation was occurring. There was an old woman who was refusing help from the National Guard and other authorities trying to convince her to evacuate her home. As far as I am aware there is no legal means to force someone out of their homes and seek safety from anything labeled as a "natural disaster". I believe it is in fact unlawful to do so even if it means it will save their lives.

Some of the questions that bothered me were: What if I were one of those National Guardsmen and had no choice but to walk away from a person who refused to evacuate then learned later they died. How would I handle that emotionally? How long would it eat at me? Would I conclude that what I should have done is throw the old bag over my shoulder and hauled her off screaming and kicking? She'd still be alive then. Would sitting in jail for violating someones lawful rights be easier to bear than walking away and knowing I could have actually saved them? And if I saved them would they hate me for it?

There are so many questions

But in the end I would do just that....violate their rights....at least they'd still be alive to bitch about it. I'd sleep ok with that.

Re: A lady in Texas in direct path of the flood says God will save her, she won't leave.

DoctorWhom
I know those feels, man.
I feel that if you see someone in trouble and understand what is going on, if you chose to
keep on your way, you are allowing whatever danger that presents itself, to effect person, I feel it's a human responsibility
To help where help can be given.
And as far as dealing with emotion, that depends on your stance, some people can simply say
"We'll, my  job/ says I shouldn't, so I won't and I'm okay with that"
And some people will think "well I was told not to. So it's not my fault"
Thanks for that morality, I haven't had this particular scenario put to me. I like these.
Take what you want and pay for it - Spanish Proverb

Re: A lady in Texas in direct path of the flood says God will save her, she won't leave.

PlanetGem

she might have
a nice row boat in the
garage