Good Friday

199

Good Friday

199
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
199

Re: Good Friday

199
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Good Friday

Tom-O
"All right, [but] apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh-water system, and public health,<Oh no, that was...> what have the Romans ever done for us?"*

*
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Life_of_Brian

The real question, today and every day, is;What do the living do for the living?

IF there were to be 'life' after death, I for one am happy to wait (and wait and wait) to see for myself.

Re: Good Friday

Crucifixion was in common use in the Roman Empire. It was used as a means to set examples by dispatching unruly slaves, criminals, and those who were seen as a threat to the status quo in a manner that was humiliating and most uncomfortable.
The system seemed to work pretty well. It most certainly was an effective deterrent. It kept the Empire from experiencing too high a crime rate and it got rid of that radical element which allowed things to cook along smoothly for centuries.
in the Empire’s Judean Province the high priests were all hand selected by King Herod who made sure that they, like himself, would be puppets of Rome. In return the entire local power establishment lived very well.
There were many local Jewish leaders who were appalled by the manner in which the sacred Temple had been taken over by these corrupt priests who were nothing more than self-serving Roman lackeys. Jesus was one of the most vocal critics and as such represented a threat. So, he was arrested and executed.
The problem continued, though, because that particular deceased Jewish leader had some very effective PR people who kept the message going after he was dead while embellishing it with all manner of fantasies along the way. He could walk on water, turn water into wine, raise the dead, etc. AND…..AND…. he would be returning shortly to oust the Romans and return the Jewish nation to a land of milk and honey.
Then, in the fourth century, after a long debate by members of the church clergy at a meeting place in what is now Turkey, they held a vote and elected this icon to the rank of a deity equal to God himself and invented the concept of the Holy Ghost. (The Catholic Church has gone on to add over 7000 more deities to which people pray. It now has more major and minor gods and goddesses than the ancient Romans and Greeks combined)

From the classified section of the local newspaper:

Here’s a prayer to a flock of Catholic deities.

Most sacred Heart of Jesus, may Thou be praised, adored, and glorified throughout the whole world, forever and ever. Sacred Heart of Jesus, pray for us, and Blessed Mary, Mother of God, pray for us. St. Joseph, Protector of the Holy Family, pray for us. St. Theresa, Little Flower, pray for us. St. Jude, Worker of Miracles and Help of the Hopeless, pray for us. Amen.
Thank you for every special favor received.

Here’s one in a Catholic pamphlet to their most important goddess:

Oh, most beautiful flower of Mount Carmel, fruitful vine, splendor of Heaven, Blessed Mother of the Son of God, Immaculate Virgin assist me in my necessity. O Star of the Sea, help me and show me here You are my Mother. O Holy Mary Mother of God, Queen of Heaven and Earth, I humbly beseech you from the bottom of my heart to succor in my necessity. There are none that can withstand Your power.

O Mary conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to Thee. (say three times).
Holy Mary, I place this cause in your hands (say three times).

Say this prayer for three consecutive days, then you must publish it and what you request will be granted to you.

Today, Judaism remains, as it always has been, a monotheistic religion. Christianity, particularly Catholicism, has transformed itself into a bizarre distortion of the religion that Jesus practiced.

Re: Good Friday

Tom-O
Ah so, Grasshopper;you can have lots of prophets, but dare not have any saints.

Its a funny old thing life, ain't it.

Re: Good Friday

OldMan_in_WV
Prophets are (or were) living people who claim to know part of what is on the mind of God.

Saints, on the other hand, have been created by those who have the unmitigated arrogance to attach to themselves the authority to assign specific responsibilities to some of the souls within God’s Heaven.

Picture this scene:
Your uncle Ralph has passed away. Having been a good man he is transported through the pearly gates and is greeted by all of his family members who preceded him there.
One day, while lounging by the pool chatting with his great-great-great-great grandmother he is notified that he has been appointed by the Vatican as the Patron Saint of pregnant chipmunks.
“You’ll have to excuse me, grandma,” Saint Ralph says as he stands up “but I have to go to work.”

Most of Christianity is, from my perspective, not a religion but an ongoing comic opera.

Re: Good Friday

peterws
Dontcha mean "Glasshopper"?
"I will usually be pushed filed stamped indexed briefed debriefed or numbered"

Re: Good Friday

peterws
"Then, in the fourth century, after a long debate by members of the church clergy at a meeting place in what is now Turkey, they held a vote and elected this icon to the rank of a deity equal to God himself and invented the concept of the Holy Ghost. . .  "

Nah then. You can`t prove this concept was invented at that time or any other.  It may be a term they used to describe that which was the experience of every Christian.  Perhaps they didn`t have a better way of putting it.  Who knows?  Who cares?  The Holy Ghost bears testimony to Christ and has never indicated the requirement to be worshjpped in Scripture or in actuality (experience, to my knowledge) The Holy Spirit also guides and instructs for our and other`s benefit through scripture or directly to the person concerned.  Every Christian should be able to testify to this personally.

These things are a part of life, but this life is not affected by the passage of time as our lives are.  This is the gospel according to Pete . . . .

Have fun!
"I will usually be pushed filed stamped indexed briefed debriefed or numbered"

Re: Good Friday

Mensaman
Oh, so the Holy Spirit was invented by those in Turkey in the fourth century?

So what was the apostle John, recalling Jesus' words, talking about earlier than this time - in the first century? "... But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you..." (John 14:26)