Here’s something I found interesting.

OldMan_in_WV
There’s this website

www.locatemyname.com

Put in your surname and it will show you the distribution of others with that name in your country and around the world.

I found I was the only one in the world with my last name.

So, when I go I’m taking it with me.

I figure that’s the least I could do.

Re: Here’s something I found interesting.

Tom-O
What is even more amazing is that, research tells us, Ellis Island managed to transcribe all names correctly. (At least there is no 'real' evidence otherwise.)

So, OM, try varying the spelling of your name...nobody should be so alone over Christmas.  :-)

Re: Here’s something I found interesting.

OldMan_in_WV
There was that massive influx of immigrants to the United States beginning in the latter part of the 19th century and which lasted for about 70 years. Though there were several ports of entry virtually all Europeans came through Ellis Island. The idea that immigration clerks transcribed the names of those entering correctly or incorrectly is inaccurate. They didn't record them at all. Most of the immigration occurred long before the era of passports and visas. The only thing the inspectors did at Ellis Island was to match the names of the people as they disembarked with the ship’s manifesto.
There were, in fact, many name changes that occurred but this was done by the immigrants themselves and for many different reasons. The primary cause was during transliteration, when names were translated from one alphabet to another.
Quick, give me the English phonetic equivalent for Україно мила.

As for me, I've had this name far too long to want to change it. I am content to consider myself the last of my clan. Might there be others from the old country that are possibly of some relation to me? Mayhaps, but of them I have no knowledge.
And be not concerned about my being solitary during Christmas. I don’t do Christmas. With the exception of events commemorated for nationalistic purposes all holidays, birthdays, and anniversaries are for women and children. Most men, myself included, could live their lives quite happily with total disregard for such annoyances.

Re: Here’s something I found interesting.

Tom-O
One is never quite alone with a sense of humour.

P.S.
Are you sure that there is no Castle and vast estate...with your (correct) name on it?

P.P.S.

Is your front yard dotted with abandoned footballs, soccer-balls and baseballs? Left by frightened neighbourhood children.

Are you the guy from Up!?

Re: Here’s something I found interesting.

OldMan_in_WV
This post was updated on .
Ted Turner is a man who made his fortune in the cable television industry. Now, some people of wealth invest their money in art, some in jewels, and some in stocks and bonds. Mr. Turner put his money into land. He now owns over 2 million acres of real estate here in the States and over 100,000 acres of property in Argentina.
You gotta feel sorry for someone who has to mow that much grass.
If it turns out that I, too, am the rightful owner of some large estate I hope I never find out about it…or rather, I hope they never find out about it.
The bill I would get for back real estate taxes would bankrupt me.

There are no toys or other childhood artifacts on my property. I had a yard sale and sold them all. As for children, I love them…but only if the right sauce is used and they are cooked properly.

And no, I’m not the guy from Up.
I unsuccessfully auditioned to serve as a model for the main character. I was beaten out by someone who was considerably younger, much better looking, and had a far more pleasant disposition as you can ascertain by the outcome.

Re: Here’s something I found interesting.

Taffy
LOL

Re: Here’s something I found interesting.

Da Da Da Da
   The old man in WV says:

      The right sauce!!

Would that be chocolate or duck sauce or maybe a combination of both...........