IDK who I AM ANYMORE! AND AA MAKES ME FEEL LIKE A SQUARE....

IDK who I AM ANYMORE! AND AA MAKES ME FEEL LIKE A SQUARE....

TiredAlcoholic
IM SO SICK OF LIFE. IM A REVCOVERING ALCOHOLIC. I only 23 years old.. used to be a fun girl but now a days I feel; like such a square. I don't hang out with ANYONE anymore and im losing passion for life. I m starting to wish I could just drink a few doggone beers once in a while and be carefree with friends.. life is so drab these days. I feel old. Hangin out at AA meetings all the time with ppl mostly in their 40s and up which never bothered me but lately Im starting to wonder If im living the life of someone much older than me, and I don't even have kids yet. I have lost all passion for living. I caused a lot of problems as a result of alcohol, and have a few DWIs, but im starting to wonder if most of those problems were because at those times I was mixing alc with PILLS. maybe that made me act worse? Idk. Im so upset and IDK what to do

Re: IDK who I AM ANYMORE! AND AA MAKES ME FEEL LIKE A SQUARE....

Tom-O
Its coming on to Christmas, that time of year when the 'blues' knock upon every door.

All across TV, Radio, Billboards...every-bloody-where, life is shown to be such fun, and though life in general never quite stacks-up to being as 'cool' as we see in the sit-coms, at this time of year recollections of childhood glee can make most 'normal' people feel more than a little sorry for themselves.

But!

Let's get one thing straight. You don't know when enough is enough, and rationalizing past behaviour is the beginning of a slippery slope.
If you were to accept that over this Christmas, alcohol, any alcohol, is not the way to go. You may allow yourself a night out, parties here and there, and again enjoy socializing with your friends. For true friends will help you to do the right thing - steer clear of everybody that thinks a few glasses will do you no harm - they are NOT your friends.

Give real life a try, life when you ARE in control of what you are doing - all the time.

Millions of people your age, and older, can go out and enjoy themselves - and drink - a great many can do this without drink/drugs too.
You were never of the first sort, you can (and you must) be of the second sort.

Who knows what life has in store, you have hardly begun to live as an adult and there is much more fun to be had, and many more clear-headed mornings to enjoy.

Happy Christmas to you.  :-)

Re: IDK who I AM ANYMORE! AND AA MAKES ME FEEL LIKE A SQUARE....

joni38
You are an addict - it isn't because of mixing with pills - its the booze alone too.  I quit smoking over a year ago and I learned a little saying: NOPE.  Not One Puff Ever.  I know I can't ever have 1 puff because if I did, I would be addicted again.  Still want one. But I don't HAVE to have one. There is a difference.
Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Re: IDK who I AM ANYMORE! AND AA MAKES ME FEEL LIKE A SQUARE....

Phoenix
Angie? You sound like a girl that used to come on here.

Hey, I know you are having a hard time. But there are other ways to have fun. A drink doesn't have to be in your hand to equal fun. I hope you know that alcohol was and is apart of the problems you have. It wasn't just the pills. Please don't let all the progress you made be for nothing.

You are strong. Remember that. If AA meetings are getting to be too much try substituting AA meetings with Church. Whatever religion you believe in, find a Church you feel comfortable with. Seek wisdom there and pray. Prayers do get answered, maybe not when we want them to be. But I think you need to talk to God just as much as you need your AA meetings.

"My motto has always been: If you persevere, you will prevail. Give it a try." -Fern Michaels

Re: IDK who I AM ANYMORE! AND AA MAKES ME FEEL LIKE A SQUARE....

peterws
There are loads of young people who`s idea of fun is to drink and party, take drugs and further.  I suppose it becomes a way of life.  To many, it`s also the kiss of death.  The truth unfortunately is that some can have a drink or three and not become addicted.  Others have loads, never get a hangover (I always did) and continue.

Other young `uns have hobbies.  Might be running, cycling, boxing, weightlifting, piano playing,   Women are excelling in all these activities which can and do involve other like minded people.  There are clubs, and internet forums devoted to every activity, including (dare I say) alcoholics . . . .

But you must have fun somehow.  Life is indeed tedious without it.  But who`s gonna make the first move?  Volunteers! step forward! (everybody but you steps back!)
"I will usually be pushed filed stamped indexed briefed debriefed or numbered"