Is the confederate flag racist?

Phoenix

http://www.debate.org/opinions/is-the-confederate-flag-racist

"My motto has always been: If you persevere, you will prevail. Give it a try." -Fern Michaels

Re: Is the confederate flag racist?

dragonslayer
I can not see how the confederate flag is racist its part of American history and was the flag of the southern states in a America

Re: Is the confederate flag racist?

The American Civil War was fought because of uncompromising differences between the Northern and Southern states over the power of the federal government and the long developing animosity between the cultures of the Northern and Southern regions. Maintaining the institution of slavery was an important issue to the wealthy land barons but it was State’s rights that were fought for on the battlefield. The vast majority of those who fought for the Confederacy never owned a slave or were even concerned about the issue. They were fighting for their State’s right to determine its own destiny free of Northern interference. It was a conflict born of markedly different cultures the people who, in the mid 19th century, were virtually isolated from each other. Debates concerning the true causes of the Civil War are unlikely to cease.  Historians often cherry-pick evidence that supports preconceived notions while ignoring large quantities of contradictory material.
It is true that most Southern whites were racist by modern definition but so were most Northerners. That wasn’t the issue on the field of battle.
This was the flag of the Confederacy at the time the Civil War began:

But the flag that is the subject of controversy is the flag that Southern soldiers took into battle fighting for the honor of their State and for the honor of the South. The idea that the Confederate battle flag (at the top of this page) was a symbol of racism then is nonsense. Civil rights or owning slaves was never an issue to the average Confederate soldier.
In modern times there has developed a connection of the Confederate battle flag to neo-Nazis, red-necks, skin-heads and the like. These groups have adopted this flag and desecrated it by their acts. They have no right to use this flag - it is a flag of honor, designed by the Confederacy as a banner representing State's rights and still revered by the South.
Today, the vast majority of Southerners deny any relation to those modern day idiots who have adopted that flag for their hateful beliefs and vociferously oppose them from using the flags of the Confederacy for any purpose.
To attack that battle flag because of its modern inappropriate use by a handful does a marked disservice to history.

Re: Is the confederate flag racist?

Phoenix
Thank you.

I had been reading about a lot of drama relating to the confederate flag. I kept drawing a blank why people think the flag is racist or a symbol of hate. I always assumed it was just simply a battle flag. Something the south came up with to show southern pride. I read about it being a symbol of rebels too.

Anyone else care to share their thoughts? Welcoming opinions.
"My motto has always been: If you persevere, you will prevail. Give it a try." -Fern Michaels

Re: Is the confederate flag racist?

dragonslayer
phoenix we get the same in the uk where people have put the union jack flag up or the flag of saint George and local councils have told the people to take them down or be taken to court cause they have said that the flags may upset or be racist to migrants and imigrants who have moved to live in the uk

Re: Is the confederate flag racist?

needabreak
Old Man said it best. The confederate flag is not itself racist, and I am saddened that this part of southern culture is being targeted as a symbol for slavery. We have gone from being politically correct to politically stupid.

Re: Is the confederate flag racist?

Anton
If the Majority of Racist people equate the Confederate flag as a symbol of their cause,the  the Majority
Will see the flag as it representing Racism.  We need to take the flags down and keep it in a historical Museum

Re: Is the confederate flag racist?

joni38
It means different things to different people. I used to love this flag. Now, I associate it with rednecks.  Some people say the War Between the States was fought for States Rights. Yeah...the right to own slaves. I think it is a hateful time of history and that is what the flag evokes for me. That and rednecks.  I love southern culture. I think we are more polite, easygoing and friendly than our neighbors to the north. But I don't like rednecks or the fact that the civil war was fought over slavery...therefore in my opinion, the flag should be used for historical purposes only.
Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.
Dot

Re: Is the confederate flag racist?

Dot
Just as the swastika was once a symbol of good faith, its an icon that was adopted by a part of society which has contorted it into a symbol of ill being.

If you think it's ok to fly a flag with a swastika you're a nazi.
If you think its ok to fly the rebel flag...you're a racist.

You can argue the matter..but public opinion says its true