Science's latest theory... so who do we believe?

Science's latest theory... so who do we believe?

Veritas
Simulations back up 'universe is a hologram' theory, physicists say

    1 day ago December 13, 2013 6:52AM

WHAT if life, the world and the universe is just a projection? The theory has long been the realm of sci-fi flicks and philosophy debates. But it may not be as absurd as it sounds. A team of physicists in Japan has found "compelling" evidence for the idea, Nature reports ... And this is the simplest explanation you'll find.

The theory we exist in a holographic projection was first put forward by physicist Juan Maldacena in 1997. He proposed the universe has gravity that comes from infinitesimally thin, vibrating strings. This intricate world of strings would exist in nine dimensions, plus the dimension of time. The 'real world' would play out in a simpler, flatter cosmos where there is no gravity.

In two papers, Yoshifumi Hyakutake of Ibaraki University in Japan and his colleagues now provide, if not an actual proof, at least compelling evidence that Maldacena's conjecture is true. Theorists such as Nick Bostrom, from Oxford University, claim the universe could be a simulation. Theorists such as Nick Bostrom, from Oxford University, claim the universe could be a simulation. The team calculated the properties of a black hole and the internal energy of the cosmos without gravity - and the calculations matched. The two seemingly very different worlds appeared identical.

"They have numerically confirmed, perhaps for the first time, something we were fairly sure had to be true, but was still a conjecture," said Leonard Susskind, one of the world's first theoreticians to explore the idea of holographic universes.

It's not proof we all live in a hologram ... but we're getting closer. - News.com.au

Re: Science's latest theory... so who do we believe?

PlanetGem

a holographic projection.....
i am going
to get me
a big bucket of popcorn
with extra butter
and sit back
and
enjoy the show

from what i
have heard....
in quantum theory
time
space
and matter
are all the
same thing
at different
vibrations

my brain is fried
i have to go
:)

Re: Science's latest theory... so who do we believe?

String theory is not new. Nor are the principles of quantum gravity. The holographic concept is a subset of both. And none of it conflicts with other scientific knowledge but rather provides specific inferences to explain them further.
For those of you who reject science and wish to stick to the idea that mankind began in a garden with two naked adults, two magical trees, and a talking snake then don’t let any of this rattle your cages. You stay with the idea of an invisible entity who existed for untold trillions of years in complete sensory deprivation and in absolute isolation (until he created other beings) and in total darkness (until he said “Let there be light”) if that comforts you.
That form of silly nonsense doesn’t appeal to those who think logically.

Re: Science's latest theory... so who do we believe?

Hank Kepanke
And the Heaven's Gate suicide cult were just tired of waiting for a UFO to take them to the "Projector"?

I don't know what you are supposed to believe but I can only take this for what it's worth to me.

Re: Science's latest theory... so who do we believe?

dragonslayer384
I read about this in the paper the other day where scientists in japan said that only the earth is real and that the universe is a holographic projection it would take a very big machine too create the hologram yet on the internet the other day other scientists have said that the universe is close too destroying its self they said the universe will contract and shrink until it ends up has a very tiny ball

Re: Science's latest theory... so who do we believe?

Veritas
So we have a string theory, a big bang theory... and now a holographic theory...?

For something that prides itself in being able to explain everything logically and definitively, that's a lot of theories...

You hold up the biblical account of mankind's beginnings as preposterous, yet science in turn also puts forward equally preposterous theories, that inevitably are modified, proved wrong or replaced altogether. You mock that which cannot be seen, yet are quite happy to cling to these theories to make sense of your world. The truth, whether you want to admit it or not, is that science does not have all the answers. What it 'knows' is just a snapshot' based on the available evidence at the time, and thus subject to change...

The Creation story is more than just a 'nonsense story about Adam and Eve, a talking snake and magical trees' - it simply points to a beginning point in our history... it tells us that we are not some accident of evolution... that we are purposely here... that we were created by a loving, higher intelligence than ourselves...

In the absence of any better, more sensible explanation from science, that's good enough for me. I look at this wonderful planet, its interrelated systems, its beauty and wonder, its simplicity and complexity existing side by side... someone designed and made it all.

Re: Science's latest theory... so who do we believe?

Veritas
Throughout human history there have been people who have come forward thinking that they had all the answers, hank. Some were proved wrong. Others ended up dictators who ironically brutalised those who chose to follow them. Some strayed off their path and lost their way. In any endeavour involving humans, even science, this has happened time and time again.

Religion, man's attempt to organize a collection of beliefs, cultural systems, and world views that relate humanity to an order of existence, is no different. There have been many 'messiahs' who have come forward throughout history - who have claimed special knowledge or a particularly close relationship or communication with God. Some, like the Heaven's Gate cult were way off the mark. And they won't be the last group to do this.

Then there those who were proved to be telling the truth.

Jesus told us that in the end times there would be many such people who would come forward. History has shown that such cults fizzle out when their leader inevitably dies or is usurped. Things of man do not endure.
Jesus Christ, on the other hand, was who he said he was - God in human form. He backed this up with his wisdom and teachings which still endure to the present day, and will continue to do so till this system comes to a conclusion... (unlike some of the theories, e.g. the long held and supported theory of spontaneous generation, put forward by science over the years...)
Jesus also proved what he said through his actions - his miracles and sacrifice on the cross and his rising from death.... something the Heaven's Gate proponents were unable to do, it would seem...

Re: Science's latest theory... so who do we believe?

Hank Kepanke
Isn't it the Japanese scientists who are attempting to clone a dinosaur using ancient dna and a frog egg?
Now the Japanese scientists are onto this new "movie world" theory?

Can you say Godzirra?

Re: Science's latest theory... so who do we believe?

peterws
Now then . . . if we`re living in a hologrammatical projection, then who`s pressing the buttons?  For whose entertainment or purpose do we exist?  Do we exist?  Are we figments of the imagination of the great and powerful one?

I`d better ask me missus . . .
"I will usually be pushed filed stamped indexed briefed debriefed or numbered"

Re: Science's latest theory... so who do we believe?

joni38
I don't mind being a hologram...its pretty cool. It fits in with my "nothing's real" philosophy I had when religious.
Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Re: Science's latest theory... so who do we believe?

Hank Kepanke
This morning I trumped the Japanese Scientists. I walked outside in the -18 degree air and made a hologram of my lungs with each breath. As I looked back there were little puffs of steam behind me where I exhaled along my path. They seemed to be freezing in a frozen time.

Holograms within a hologram.....or were they?

MMMMMWWWWWwwwwaaaaaahhhhhh    haaaaaaaaaa HHaaaaaaaaaaa

Re: Science's latest theory... so who do we believe?

PlanetGem

to peterws

i don't exist

so pay no attention