TERMITES!!! HELP!

joni38
I put this on yahoo answers as well and I am going to paste it here -  if anyone has the slightest knowledge of termites...please help! I know its long but its fascinating! Please read!

Is there a difference among methods used by pest control companies for termite treatment?

I had termites swarming on inside of kitchen screen door this morning and also saw them on the wooden threshold of the door. Its May in Virginia & time for them to swarm. I had my basement checked in March of this year and there was no evidence of termites then. But according to the Orkin guy the termites could be there undetected and he thinks because I had this swarm on the inside of the door then the termites definitely originated from my house has opposed to flying to the door from a neighbor's. Also since this swarm exists he says the termites had to be in the home for 4 years..as they do not swarm before that.

He also advises me my basement's moisture levels are "too high". I told him I was going to research it & compare to other companies...he says the other companies would not do as thorough of a job etc. etc....and they will quote me a lower price but it will be a ripoff...he says he is a Christian man and would not work for any of those companies except Orkin because according to him Orkin has integrity, etc. and is just the best one there is...he went into great detail about the treatment procedure.

He's been a salesman for 22 years and apparently knows the right things to say...but it is $1200 or so to get the termites treated...over $1000 to put plastic on the crawlspace floor to "stop the moisture"...and like $700 to paint the inside beams in crawlspace with borax or something like that to kill mold or fungus....(I'm not going down there period - spiders - too scared)...also he said there was an opening tomorrow and if I went ahead & decided they'd knock of a certain amount (which made me suspicious there, and also since he touted his Christianity that made me suspicious). My house is a one level ranch, maybe 1100 or 1200 sq feet...with a crawl space. Has any one had experience with termites? What do you think?

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Re: TERMITES!!! HELP!

Bronzebabe
My dad said, find anyone OTHER than Orkin to get an opinion from.  Dad said they will cheat you if they can.  Always get a couple of estimates.
You only get one life, live it well!

Re: TERMITES!!! HELP!

joni38
Thanks!!
Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Re: TERMITES!!! HELP!

jamew78
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: TERMITES!!! HELP!

joni38
You are about 5 years too late. My house would have been sawdust by now!
Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Re: TERMITES!!! HELP!

Taffy
LOL!!

joni38 wrote
My house would have been sawdust by now!

Re: TERMITES!!! HELP!

Brett33
Kitchen is the main area where pests or bugs grow at very fast rate. I got worried when I saw so many pests in my kitchen in night, so very next morning I called up best pest control service providers, and they took instant action.

Re: TERMITES!!! HELP!

Facchini_9
This post was informative for me. I also have to get rid of the bed bugs inside my guest room’s mattress. One of my cousins is staying in this room and got bites on her arm. So I also need some information regarding how to treat bed bug bites. Please share if you know some instant cures.