The value of truth. Although the truth is for me one of the highest values, I don't think it is above good sense.

The value of truth. Although the truth is for me one of the highest values, I don't think it is above good sense.

Taffy
This post was updated on .
situation;
(that situation comes from a post , posted here some months ago)

The man loves eating out, and he's been eating out on restaurants every day. He gets married and the thing the wife loves to do, the most is cooking, so she cooks for him everyday, and the pleasure of seeing him eating is enormous. And he LOOOOVES her food. But he misses the restaurants, so one day he goes out to a rest, and have a perfect meal. he arrives home and he tells his wife.
or:
he arrives home and not tell his wife, and have a perfect meal with her, which btw is the woman he loves and wants to spend the rest of his life with, and eating her food!

Re: The value of truth. Although the truth is for me one of the highest values, I don't think it is above good reason.

joni38
He makes a date with her and takes her with him.
Even if someone loves to cook, they would also enjoy eating out sometimes.
Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Re: The value of truth. Although the truth is for me one of the highest values, I don't think it is above good reason.

Taffy
I haven't thought of that, hmmm lol
Ok but, BUT , Joni, the point is, .....let's imagine she HATES with all her guts to eat out! What now?
For the sake of argument she  will always refuse to eat out. (let's imagine that...she is afraid to be sick, don't know it...doesn't matter) Now what does he do?

He says "wife, I'm going to eat out tonight".  Then he goes.  Then he comes back and brings his wife some cake in a box from the restaurant. (Are we really talking about something else? Is he having his cake and eating it too?)
Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Re: The value of truth. Although the truth is for me one of the highest values, I don't think it is above good reason.

Tom-O
Wife must have been girl-friend for a time and with his love of alfresco dining must have eaten with him outside the home they did not at that time have together.
Wife loves hubby and his little ways, wife knows that a big part of dining is the company, what better company than she...she will need new clothes to make the experience more enjoyable for both of them too.
Wife, on these nights out, learns more of hubby's likes and dislikes food-wise and is able to cook for him what he likes to eat when out.
Recap...
Wife gets nights off,
wife gets new clothes...and new shoes
wife gets to show the world how wonderful the marriage is, how happy both she and hubby are
wife gets warm-glow from showing that she can cook anything just as well as any other 'chef'.
wife gets to criticise, to CRITICISE other cooks, other female diners etc. (what joy?)
wife gets to praise hubby and tell him how much more handsome he is than other men

The list of pluses is endless.

Re: The value of truth. Although the truth is for me one of the highest values, I don't think it is above good reason.

Taffy
Joni, I'm going to answer that later. I am in a big hurry, i like that subject, about the value of the truth. I have another exemple I'll write it later, and I will comment about the man eating the cake, lol
See you soon! :)

Re: The value of truth. Although the truth is for me one of the highest values, I don't think it is above good reason.

B0Z0
love it! ...miz jackson:)

(the wife) could make the Cake at home...then he could (double-dip) dessert.
Home Made Cake with a Wifey chaser...I won't say "Bottoms _ _"

no cake for B0Z0

B0Z0

Re: The value of truth. Although the truth is for me one of the highest values, I don't think it is above good reason.

Taffy
My point here is about the value of the truth.
in my situation #1 the guy loves to eat out not only for the food, but also for all the "mis-en-scene" involved. he loves to open the menu, to see people around, to talk to the waiter, all the scenary involved. And the wife can't stand eating out.

Now, situation #2

I saw this on a movie, I can't remember the name it.
the man is dying of cancer, he is very old. He and his wife doesn't know he has cancer. they go to hospital to make exams. the wife tells secretly to the doctor that IF her husband has cancer NOT to tell him, cause he will go "out of odre" he freaks out about the word cancer, she says he will go in despair and she will "loose" her husband. She goes to her house while he is on hospital, and when she arrives back she sees him completely "out" like a zombi, afraid, scared ! She can't communicate with him anymore, and the doctor said to the wife that he had to tell the man the truth , that he had cancer, because he  has the right of the TRUTH!

Now I ask? what truth? The truth that the doctor can't hold the load on his sholder? that he is egoistic. I hate what society has made of people. insecure people, and afraid and fragile.

On case #1 the man who tells the wife is also a weak guy. Egoistic.

Is truth above well being? Above good sense?

Truth should always prevail -  unless one determines the person being told something can't handle it - like the man with cancer - like the wife who wants to stay home (although I think the wife should be told - honey - I want to eat out sometimes).  BUT where do you draw the line with something like that...i. e. cheating husband knows his wife can't handle his cheating - thus - he keeps doing it and doesn't tell her.  Or Aunt Jenny's niece has bad breath and she doesn't want to tell her niece the truth about that.
Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Re: The value of truth. Although the truth is for me one of the highest values, I don't think it is above good reason.

Taffy
EXACTLY Joni!  that's the point I was thinking about.....

If you ask me: Do I have bad breath/or is my hair awful today?/...then I MUST tell you the truth, as a friend and a person you trust I MUSt tell the truth, no doubt about it, and becauseyou asked me to. But if you don't ask me, why tell you what maybe you don't want to know or can't handle well?

Someone says: " I don't want to know the truth!" ( using words or expressing it so you can sense that the person can't handle the truth or doesn't want to know the truth). So in that case if you tell them the truth isn't THAt somehow "cheating"?
Sorry if I extand more than I should on that particular subject, Joni, that subject was in my mind for quite some time, and now it just "exploded".

I think you have to go a step further and think about whether or not the truth will be helpful to them whether they want to know it or not.  Some people have the tendency to ignore things that need to be brought to their attention. The thing I can think of: my sister was going around with her nose peeling horribly and it looked terrible. I said what's wrong with your nose? She said she was afraid it was cancer and she wasn't dealing with it.  I said why don't you put lotion on your nose? She said she didn't want to fool with it.  We were at the hospital at the time with my mom. I went to the nurse's station and got a bottle of baby lotion, came back and put it on her nose - ended up putting it on everybody's nose - put it on my nose, and said how hard is that.  So she started putting lotion on her nose and the peeling stopped. My sister isn't the brightest crayon in the box.  I DIDN'T tell her that she's being dumb, but I did tell her to do something about her nose.
Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Re: The value of truth. Although the truth is for me one of the highest values, I don't think it is above good reason.

Taffy
That was a good exemple you exposed here Joni. You were kind with your sister and told her the truth.

Even though the person doesn't want to face the truth you must say it for her benifit, that'1s generosity, not all people are like that. it is not righ to spoil anyone, if you love them and want their best.
Spoiling is calling another person: You are weak, that's not good, of course. But something completely different is telling the truth for the only purpose of taking a load out of your shoulder, is another thing, it hurts the other people around and leads to no good path and sometimes I see it.

I value the truth as the best thing in life, seeing things clear and not with the clouds of morals and stablished rules is a gift, isn't it?

Yes it is :)
Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Re: The value of truth. Although the truth is for me one of the highest values, I don't think it is above good reason.

Taffy
A beautiful vase and a flower.

The flower was spreding its petals and reaching out towards the sun celebrating the beautiful day.

or

 turgor cell .... metabolism ... etc

what is 'best' : Poetry or Science?

what is the truth?

Re: The value of truth. Although the truth is for me one of the highest values, I don't think it is above good reason.

Help Desk
The truths are: each is "best" at the right moment.

A man comes home to his wife after eating out at a restaurant. He becomes ill because of food poisoning. She first uses science to help him past the poisoning, then uses poetry to remind him the dangers of eating out when there is a virtual palace of delectable food prepared with love and tenderness at home.

Then she burns eggs in the morning and the cycle of passions begins all over again.

The truth flees with the moment but it's not always about the truth, sometimes it's about the spice.

Re: The value of truth. Although the truth is for me one of the highest values, I don't think it is above good sense.

PlanetGem
This post was updated on .
lol
simple.......