how do u express yourself in spite of fear?

how do u express yourself in spite of fear?

curlyeyelashes
How do you come to the point of expressing yourself/ being yourself freely and without feeling uncomfortable, without the use of alcohol or other drugs? Even though you have a chronic fear that you have fought your WHOLE life into your 20s, of what people think of you, rejections, embarrassing yourself, etc.. How do you come to be able to be comfortable when socializing? Will I EVER be able to be myself? I am in my 20s and in recovery ( Alcoholics Anonymous) and am still unable to open up and ppl think I am quiet.. to THIS day I can't seem to be able to make conversation and am shy, painfully. I hate it. It was much easier when I was drinking and using. But how do you socialize/ and be yourself and talk/open up COMFORTABLY without a substance? I am trying and trying, to no avail...

Re: how do u express yourself in spite of fear?

Phoenix
perhaps you need to pinpoint why you're so shy.
also maybe you should consider getting help from a therapist to help you understand and work through your problems.
I'd like to say with age it does get better. hopefully with age people can grow more confident. but if you fear that it is something more severe, you should seek help from a therapist.
why do you think you're shy?
"My motto has always been: If you persevere, you will prevail. Give it a try." -Fern Michaels

Re: how do u express yourself in spite of fear?

joni38
I suffer the same but luckily I don't have a substance abuse problem. I can't make light conversation really because I have no interest in doing so..  Not really an answer to your question, but sometimes there is comfort knowing you aren't alone.   Sometimes I wonder if I forced myself to take a public speaking class if this would help me get over being so quiet with people.
Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Re: how do u express yourself in spite of fear?

curlyeyelashes
thanks guys