question for buddhists (or veggies). Do animals have the same importance as humans? Are we all part of 'life'?

question for buddhists (or veggies). Do animals have the same importance as humans? Are we all part of 'life'?

Taffy
there is no GOd for buddhism that is APART from 'me'. As in christianity. For Buddhism. All is one. All is part of 'life'. I am part of 'all'.
I can't kill any form of life according to buddhism cause any form of life is somehow part of 'me'. If I kill any form of life I kill 'part of me'. Or?

If a lion comes to eat me I should let it kill me? Cause my life and its life are all 'blessed' (part of a whole) for Buddhist? My life is not more important than the life of a lion or a beatlle, or any insect or virus, is it... or?

BTW, I am not depressed and I love with all my guts my life! : D

This is a serious question. I'd be glad if you share your intakes. Thanks: )

Re: question for buddhists (or veggies). Do animals have the same importance as humans? Are we all part of 'life'?

Tom-O
One cannot value 'life' and yield-up one's own existence without a fight.

There is a line; with convenience at one extreme and necessity at the other.

Where you place yourself on this line, as far as 'killing' goes, is a matter for the individual.

As likely as not, one may question one's position on this line by enquiring whether we kill for a justifiable reason or merely as a matter of routine.

We each must place the 'self' at the centre of all things, for without the 'self' there is nothing. When we sleep, and when we die, we leave the world which we know, either temporarily or permanently. While the world may view us as (more or less) present - while we sleep, or gone and lost to the world when we die, for the self it is the world that has ceased to be.
If this is so for our own self, is it not so for all others?
Am I not an integral part of your world, and you of mine?

And so, we (the self) is at one and the same time, the centre of all things and at the periphery of everything. And while it is difficult to accept non-human life as as important as human life - 'animals' have no soul (we are taught) and there is no such thing as doggy-heaven. It cannot be denied that 'animals' do live and as such have a life of their own, and that plants too live.
And yet, to sustain the life of the self, we must eat.
But, need we accept the routine of killing our close relatives* to sustain ourselves?

*
Pigs, for instance.
Pig blood and pig organs so closely resemble our own that we use them in transplants. We 'gain' access to the nutrients we need to sustain life readily from consuming such creatures whose metabolism so closely resembles our own.

[All rather a stream-of-consciousness than a reasoned response, but that is life. :)]

I do not eat animals to remind myself that all life is precious. How people who thank God each time a dead thing is laid on the table before them can ever know when it is right, and when it is wrong, to kill, is beyond me. And looking back through history it seems to be beyond them also.

Re: question for buddhists (or veggies). Do animals have the same importance as humans? Are we all part of 'life'?

peterws
Administrator
"How people who thank God each time a dead thing is laid on the table before them can ever know when it is right, and when it is wrong, to kill, is beyond me. And looking back through history it seems to be beyond them also. "

That "dead thing on the table" is prepared food, lad.  It stops us dying.  Now, you can eat veggies till the cows come home.  But they`re dead too, and were alive once.  Are they any less special because they`re vegetables?  Do they not have feelings too?  Sounds laughable. But research indicates tomato plants become agitated when the gardener makes moves to rip their fruits off the plant (without anaesthetic of course) - even before it happens.

Not a lot of people know that.  And another thing.  These animals do not grow old like us.(cue: blow bugle.  "Last Post" a la remembrance service)  They will not (forgot the words dammit)  But ya know what I mean.

Got a nice piece o` lamb today for Sunday . . .Have fun!
"I will usually be pushed filed stamped indexed briefed debriefed or numbered"

Re: question for buddhists (or veggies). Do animals have the same importance as humans? Are we all part of 'life'?

dragonslayer384
don't forget taffy that animals prey on other animals to eat too survive has do we but with humans we breed animals to eat but there are those people who live in remote places who have too hunt the animals for food  but I don't think we should go out and kill animals just for fun and sport

Re: question for buddhists (or veggies). Do animals have the same importance as humans? Are we all part of 'life'?

joni38
Not answering as a Buddhist, but just as a person. Hi Taffy :)  I believe everyone suffers the same, either animal or human.  There's nothing we can do about being kind to viruses and bacteria, but, if we have control over something, we should always be kind when possible.
Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Re: question for buddhists (or veggies). Do animals have the same importance as humans? Are we all part of 'life'?

Taffy
joni38 wrote
Not answering as a Buddhist, but just as a person. Hi Taffy :)  I believe everyone suffers the same, either animal or human.  There's nothing we can do about being kind to viruses and bacteria, but, if we have control over something, we should always be kind when possible.
Hi Joni! : )
Thanks for answering!

I don't understand.. what do you mean by: "There's nothing we can do about being kind to viruses and bacteria". ( I guess I don't understand the meaning. )
And I like what you said: "if we have control over something, we should always be kind when possible." I agree : )

Re: question for buddhists (or veggies). Do animals have the same importance as humans? Are we all part of 'life'?

joni38
Well, every time we wash our hands  or brush our teeth we are killing germs, but if we didn't keep clean we would all be sick and stinky.  So we can't "be kind" to viruses and bacteria.  But we CAN be kind to animals by not eating them, experimenting on them, etc.

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Hi Joni!
O yes, now I understand it! I've never thoght of that, we are killing them wanting or not, true. : )

Re: question for buddhists (or veggies). Do animals have the same importance as humans? Are we all part of 'life'?

Wanderlustermadchen
Hi! Im an atheist/agnostic. I don't eat animals...I believe they have the same importance as humans. I try not to kill anything...even insects. I also think abortion is wrong, for the same reasons.

Hwo are ya?

Re: question for buddhists (or veggies). Do animals have the same importance as humans? Are we all part of 'life'?

Taffy
Dear Wan,
I'm fine, tks! : ) and you?

I try not to kill insects also, but I eat meat. (Kind of contradiction, huh?)

I don't think is wrong eating meat, what I think is wrong, and (I think there is not much I can do about it), is the sadism done to animals before killing them for selling the meat.

Wanderlustermadchen wrote
Hi! Im an atheist/agnostic. I don't eat animals...I believe they have the same importance as humans. I try not to kill anything...even insects. I also think abortion is wrong, for the same reasons.

Hwo are ya?

Re: question for buddhists (or veggies). Do animals have the same importance as humans? Are we all part of 'life'?

Wanderlustermadchen
Are you on FB, Taffy?

Re: question for buddhists (or veggies). Do animals have the same importance as humans? Are we all part of 'life'?

Taffy
FB, no. I'm one of the  the few people who is not. Never been to FB page.
I feel this would take me to my past which I don't want to face it.

(When I saw FB, for I second I read FBI, LOL!!! And I'm not on FBI either, lol)

Re: question for buddhists (or veggies). Do animals have the same importance as humans? Are we all part of 'life'?

BlueAndBlackInk
well ...I do know that monks don't eat animals because they believe that they are all one, the humans, animals, and earth, all one.
"After all, tomarrow IS another day!"

Re: question for buddhists (or veggies). Do animals have the same importance as humans? Are we all part of 'life'?

ANTON
Hi, this is a interesting question, I'm not a Vegetarian but, I gave up eating meat and pork about a year ago for Lent and just never chose to go back. I just get my proteins from other sources.

As for the Buddhist that all life is blessed and we should not kill any forms, well I can respect their view but, I think we as a society must first respect and see human life as Blessed...............