so vegetarians are humane?

Veritas
... bad news for vegetarians

Scientific research has shown plants can hear themselves being eaten

    1 hour ago July 03, 2014 7:58PM

According to science, plants can ‘hear’ themselves being eaten. VEGETARIANS, get off your moral high-horses. It turns out that plants can hear themselves being eaten.

A report from the University of Missouri-Columbia stated that a collaboration of audio and chemical analysis found plants respond to the sounds caterpillars make when eating leaves. The study also concluded that plants respond to the sounds defensively.

“We found that feeding vibrations signal changes in the plant cells’ metabolism, creating more defensive chemicals that can repel attacks from caterpillars,” said Heidi Appel, senior research scientist in the Division of Plant Sciences at MU.

The scientists tested the effect of other sounds, like gentle wind or nearby insects and compared these with the vibrations made by caterpillars munching on leaves.

They found that the plants were able to distinguish feeding vibrations from other sounds, and reacted defensively by producing more mustard oils, a chemical that is unappealing to many caterpillars.

Re: so vegetarians are humane?

joni38
but are the plants CONSCIOUS of producing this substance? Do they have brains? Do they have a nervous system?
Get real.
Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Re: so vegetarians are humane?

Veritas
If I had stated five years ago, or even one year ago, that plants could hear I would have been laughed at. After all, they don't have ears shaped or designed like ours do they? In the same way they may have a 'brain' or 'nervous system' which function in the same way as ours, but are not physically apparent because they take a different form. In any case is having a brain and nervous system the only requirement when making the decision to kill them and eat them or not? The fact is that plants are living things. We deprive them of life in order for us to live, the same as animals. That's real.
Is vegetarianism any less humane than eating animals then?

Re: so vegetarians are humane?

Tom-O
"Is vegetarianism any less humane than eating animals then? " Might you mean 'any more'?

I suppose we are what we eat, and so we are all grass, to some extent. We could go further and say that we are all 'Stardust', which is essentially true.

Its all about where to draw the line.

It is also about the times in which we live.*

We eat to 'be' and to grow, and the internal natural processes that we use to transform what we eat (and drink) into what we are work well with meat, but then again the animal we eat has done part of the job for us, it has turned the 'grass' into (predominately) mammal-flesh. So, in eating meat we are close to eat our own form of flesh, and * we are prone to be consuming all the drugs and toxins we would be very careful about if we were asked to take them in pill form.

If you are 'squeamish' about eating something with a face, well maybe you are just the squeamish sort.

Then we could go on to talk about the wasted space we use by farming animals for protein as compared to what we would need to produce protein via plant food...and the starving millions...and the amount of waste in general...